I'll admit, this isn't the ideal weight-loss food, but two stuffed mushrooms as your side isn't that bad either. I made these and served them to my husband and father-in-law. Came back a few minutes later for my share and they were looking at me hoping I'd say I didn't want any and they could finish it instead!
This recipe is something I threw together based on other stuffed mushroom recipes I've read below and what I had in the kitchen. It is also done similarly in Spain with larger mushrooms.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 tbsp unsalted butter.
- Add 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks and 1 large garlic clove, sliced.
- Just as it begins to brown add 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs.
- Once toasted, remove from fire and put it into a bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded gouda cheese and 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley.
- Remove the stems from 6 large white mushrooms, wipe dry with a damp kitchen towel and stuff each mushroom with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the same nonstick skillet and add the stuffed mushrooms. Pan fry on high for 5 minutes and then turn the gas to low and cover for 5 minutes.
- The mushrooms should be well browned now. Turn over and press down to render color to the cheese-breadcrumb stuffing and turn over immediately.