Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chicken Masala & Sautéed Zucchini












































This is a new series of recipes that belong to "How I Lost My Pregnancy Weight" 

The last trimester of my pregnancy was difficult– bed rest with premature contractions, gestational diabetes, which meant a very strict diet. I didn't put on any extra weight beyond the required baby weight.

However, once I gave birth to my darling son Ishaan, I went wild. No diabetes. No doctor weighing me every two weeks. And since I was nursing Ishaan I was very hungry. My grandmothers, mother and mother-in-law said that I needed extra calories– cracked wheat porridge in clarified butter (ghee) was my breakfast every morning for three months and a whole lot of chocolate. 

I was beginning to hate how much weight I had put on, but my family doctor said that I shouldn't try to diet as my milk flow would be compromised. And exercise was tough given that I barely got much sleep at night! 

When I got to India for vacation, I took Ishaan to my pediatrician, Dr Shashi Merchant. She looked at me and told me to get cracking and lose the weight. Extra calories is a myth. 3 liters of water a day is what is required to maintain a proper milk flow. 

I met with Suman Agarwal of Selfcare later that week, and she gave me a lactation weight loss diet. With her diet I have been able to lose weight and am half way through my target mark.

Posting this on the blog will hopefully keep me motivated to surpass my target weight! 

Chicken masala
  1. Marinate 1/2 kilo chicken in 1 cup yogurt (I used one small box of Danone plain light yogurt) with salt, pepper, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, pinch of turmeric and red chili (to taste)
  2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan, and fry 1/2 onion sliced. (If the oil is very hot, then the onions fry faster and render a better color with less oil). Add 4–5 minced garlic cloves once the onions are well browned.
  3. Add 1 cup tomato puree (or grated tomato) and add  salt, pepper, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, pinch of turmeric and red chili (to taste). Let it cook on low for 7 minutes.
  4. Once the tomato mixture has been cooked well and the spices infused, add the marinated chicken into the pot, mix well and turn the gas to low. Let it cook for 5–7 minutes. Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
  5. Add a large handful of cilantro leaves to the simmered chicken, mix well and serve.
  6. Tasted better several hours later…
Sauteed zucchini
  1. Fry 1 tsp cumin seeds in 1 tbsp olive oil
  2. Add 8 cloves of sliced garlic
  3. Toss in cubes of zucchini (2 zucchinis) and season with salt and pepper
  4. Deglaze the pan with 1 tbsp vinegar and let it cook until the zucchini is cooked and well browned.
  5. Garnish with parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment