How amazing are scones? A cup of tea with a scone. A quiet break in the middle of the day– that little booster to keep you going with a smile.
And when I found this recipe I was so happy. It had one of my favorite ingredients (ginger) added into scones! After adding in chocolate chips to compliment my favorite ingredient with another favorite ingredient, it really hit the spot for me and my husband. And then I was even happier to find out that it was eggless! My in-laws are vegetarian and don’t eats eggs either.
This recipe is from Nancy Silverton’s Pastries from the La Brea Bakery in Los Angeles and I sourced it from my Epi iPhone App.
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400F (200C)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1 tbsp baking powder. Mix on low to incorporate.
- Add 1 tsp lemon zest (about 1/2 lemon) and 1 1/2 sticks of cold unsalted butter. Mix on low until the mixture is a pale yellow and consistency of fine meal.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in 2/3 cup candied ginger and 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, finely chopped into 1/4-inch pieces. Make a well in the center and pour in 3/4 cup heavy cream, mixing until just combined.
- Wash and dry your hands and dust them with flour. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times to gather them into a ball. Roll or pat the dough into a circle about 3/4-inch thick. Cut out the circles, cutting as closely together as possible and keeping the trimmings intact.
- Gather the scraps, pat and press the pieces back together and cut out the remaining dough.
- Place scones 1-inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with cream.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes, until the surface cracks and they are lightly browned.
A great tip is to make the dough and cut out the circles, freeze them in an airtight container, layered with parchment paper. Defrost as many scones as you would like to have and bake as per the instructions above when you want to have the scones.