As part of our vegetarian Spanish tapas night, stuffed mushrooms were quite the star at the table. Quick and easy, this vegetarian dish would work well for a small dinner party.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Wipe 6 large portobello mushrooms with a damp kitchen cloth and pat dry. Remove the stems. Arrange the mushrooms cut-side up on a baking sheet.
- In a large skillet melt 1 tbsp unsalted butter. Saute 5–6 garlic cloves, finely chopped for 1 minute. Immediately add 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs). Toast the breadcrumbs for 3–5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from heat and toss in 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika and salt to taste.
- Top each mushroom with the breadcrumb mixture, and then with 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese divided amongst the 6 mushroom caps.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the stuffing is golden brown and the mushrooms are tender. Serve warm.