Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Quick App 5: Roasted Garlic Asparagus Spread


Denise sent me a great looking app recipe that I tweaked, to work with what I had available in my kitchen. After making it, I wanted to add it to the Quick App series that I have going in this blog, but at the same time, this worked well for me as a versatile spread to have in the fridge or freezer as I tossed it with pasta, spread it on bread with a fried egg and simply spread on small toasts as an appetizer. 
Makes 2 cups
  1. 1.Roast the garlic: Preheat the oven to 450F/230C. Slice the top of a whole bulb of garlic. Place in a baking tray, drizzle 4-5 tbsp of olive oil. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 40–45 minutes. Remove and let it cool. Once cooled, squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skin and mix with the oil.
  2. 2.Steam the asparagus: Cut / snap off the woody ends of one large bunch of asparagus. Steam the asparagus for 3–4 minutes. Reserve the tips.
  3. 3.Make the spread: In a food processor, blend the roasted garlic, garlic oil, steamed asparagus stems (reserve the tips of the asparagus), 1/2 cup Parmagiano Regianno and 1 tsp paprika until smooth. Add olive oil if needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the asparagus tips.

    I would like to try this recipe with frozen peas (as the recipe stated originally), artichoke hearts and spinach. If you do, let us know how it came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment