After reading this recipe in a Bon Appetit supplement of I was waiting for an opportunity to make it. And Gayatri’s Christmas party sounded perfect for it. It makes 2 1/2 cups so I halved the recipe as we were only 7 people and there were other appetizers.
2 15 1/2-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
1/4 cup corn oil
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne or 1/4 tsp Habanero pepper
1 cup shelled raw pistachios
2 tsp fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss garbanzo beans with next five ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until garbanzo beans are golden and crisp, stirring occasionally with a metal spatula, about 20 minutes (can be made 4 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature).
- Stir pistachios and thyme into garbanzo mixture.
- Bake until beans and pistachios are crunchy, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and serve warm.