One of my favorite weeknight go-to meals are quick eggs. They are easy and quick to make, cheaper, low-mess, no cleaning and no chopping. Added benefit of protein and hence satisfying.
Here are my 1-2-3 eggs that make it eggs with a twist.
- Sauté the aromatics
- Fry the eggs
This is what I did last Sunday night. Get creative and tweak it as you like, keep in mind what Chef Mario Batali says– what grows together, goes together.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Sauté 3 tbsp chopped white onions until pinkish with 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- Add 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes, salt to taste and 1 tsp dried oregano. Let the tomato water dry up slightly, 3–4 minutes.
- Move the tomatoes to one side of the pan, add another 2 tbsps of olive oil and crack 3 eggs to fry. Top the eggs with a generous topping Italian herb flavored bread crumbs and freshly grated parmesan cheese to create a nice crust on the eggs.
- Serve over toast with parsley to garnish.
Some ideas for tweaks:
- Use sesame or peanut oil with spring onions for an Asian flair. Swop regular breadcrumbs for Panko bread crumbs. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and cilantro.
- Sauté the onions with mustard and cumin seeds. Add dijon mustard to the bread crumbs before sprinkling on top with some fresh dil weed.
- Go Indian! Sauté red onions with cumin seeds and curry leaves. Add some turmeric powder and green chilies to the tomatoes. Top with mild cheddar cheese and garnish heavily with cilantro. serve over naan bread. (Garlic naans from the frozen aisle at Trader Joes goes fabulously with these eggs).
Add in your ideas and tell us how you tweaked the eggs.