Ina Garten calls these brownies outrageous! I call them beyond outrageous! In my earlier brownie post I said that brownies should be gooey. And these are outrageously gooey! As much as I love the Ghiradelli Brownies, this one is actually better for me.
These brownies make a HUGE batch of brownies, perfect for a party, bake sale or to give as party favors.
1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey's)
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I used Baker's)
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet
- Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar.
- Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Toss the chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. Pour into the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 20 large squares or 40 medium squares.
Heat and eat with a scoop or vanilla ice cream!