The Italians do asparagus and egg salad beautifully. The asparagus gets blanched, with boiled eggs and a classic vinaigrette. And that is what dinner was meant to be today, but as I got to the kitchen I realized that I wanted the same combination of the vegetable and protein, with a spin. Which is why it went towards the Asian flavors. And boy, were we happy with the results!
If I were you, I'd make this a repeat dinner recipe in your home.
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp lemon ginger olive oil (or plain olive oil with a little grated ginger)
1 tbsp + 1 tbsp sesame oil
16 spears of asparagus
8 scallions (spring onions)
1tbsp Shaoxing rice wine (or dry Sherry)
2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
1 tbsp black and white sesame seeds
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients
- Snap the ends of the asparagus, trim the scallions.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tbsp sesame oil and cook until lightly charred on a skillet, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss with sesame seeds
- Deglaze the pan with the Shaoxing rice wine, add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and fry two eggs.
- Plate the asparagus and fried egg over a bed of baby spinach and drizzle with the salad dressing.