Okra and Corn wontons, with cheese? That was my reaction when I read the recipe on Tasting Table. I never put okra together with wontons. But since I love the vegetable I was too curious to not try it out.
This was my contribution to the two Diwali party pot lucks and each time it was an absolute hit. In fact, it was even wiped out at both the parties!
Although the process is fairly simple, making the wontons is time consuming. I think it is worth it, as it impressed the crowd and you can freeze them uncooked, ready to be popped out and baked whenever you have a last minute guest!
- 1 cup thinly sliced okra
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups corn
- 8oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp black pepper, or more if you like it spicy
- 1 tsp paprika, or more if you like it spicy
- Salt, to taste
- 60 wonton wrappers
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and cook the okra and red pepper, until the okra has dried up when the sticky strings disappears.
- Add the corn, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from fire and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon juice, black pepper and paprika.
- Add the okra, pepper and corn mixture to the cheese mixture. Taste and season accordingly.
- On a large working surface lay the wonton wrappers out in an assembly line. Scoop 1tsp of the filling onto each wrapper. Fold over and seal shut with a little water or egg wash. You can stop at this stage, or fold in the two corners of the wonton to make the diamond shape (refer to the image above).
- Spray the top of the wontons generously with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve with hot chili sauce.
If you work with the wontons in an assembly line (refer to image above) it will get done sooner than if you make them individually.