Friday, November 18, 2011

Ultimate Chocolate Cake





It was the Spring of 2005. My friend, Trang had Denise and me over for dinner. The dinner, as always was incredible. But… the dessert of the evening stole the show. Warm chocolate cake with strawberries for her husband James birthday. It was so good that on returning back to New York, my friends Mumtaz, Tehmina and I made it so often to ensure that we always had it at home. It became a staple 'food' at home! It is now 2011 and the cake is still a hit every time I make it. In fact, I make it for my husbands aunt and uncle every time they visit as it's almost a demand. 


So yes, it is the ultimate chocolate cake for its delicious content, but also ultimate for how simple and quick it is to make. I love to bake, to meticulously measure and time every second of the process. But this cake is so simple that it makes baking for me almost playful.


Preheat oven to 350F.


Butter and flour a bundt pan.


In a large bowl, mix together with a spatula / hand held mixer / stand mixer
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 box Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
1 16-oz fat-free Sour Cream tub (I use fat free for this even though everything else is so high in calories because it probably makes me feel better! Use full-fat if you like too)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil


Once mixed together, fold in 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.


Bake for 40–45 minutes.


Serve warm with ice cream and strawberries. 


This cake also freezes very well (if you have left overs!). Slice it and pull out a slice when you want it, microwave it for 30 seconds. You and whoever you serve this cake to will thank us for the recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment