Friday, October 14, 2011

Sweet and Sour Pork

Hello again amigos! 
It has been a while since I blogged, or rather cooked. My 9-month old son wouldn't sleep through the night, or even half the night, while made me a tired person. Dinner was usually some left over or the other, a Trader Joe's frozen meal or we ordered in. That was great… it got food into our stomach but my husband and I craved a good home cooked meal and I craved spending time cooking, which didn't involve cooking a baby puree!  

Even though pork isn't my favorite, I woke up one morning Sweet and Sour Pork. 
So I went to the butcher in my neighborhood that morning, Simchick Meats and bought pork tenderloin. 
It hit the spot, a yummy and quick meal. The cooking time was literally 10 minutes. Prep didn't take that long either, so this gets rated (by me) as a good recipe to have on hand for that quick week night dinner.

The recipe I found was from the Food Network Kitchens, which I did tweak slightly. 

Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into thin slices
  • 2 1/2 tbsp vinegar
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 3 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 3 tbsp peanut oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (greens kept aside, for garnish)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
Directions
  1. Marinade pork: Toss pork in a bowl with 1/2 tbsp vinegar and a pinch of salt.
  2. Make sauce: Mix remaining vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, ketchup, honey, 1/3 cup water and 1/2 tsp salt.
  3. Cook the pork: In a wok heat the oil and add the pork. Slowly stir until it turns mostly opaque, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. 
  4. Cook the aromatics and veggies: In the wok, stir-fry the garlic, add the scallions and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 2 minutes (add a little water if the garlic begins to stick to the wok). Add the mushrooms, and sauce and stir until it begins to thicken, about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the pork and cook for another minute. 
  6. Garnish with the greens of the scallions. Serve with white or brown rice.
Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment