I was inspired by a recipe in Anabel Karmel's book, Top 100 Baby Purees and made this for dinner one night for my 13 month old son. He loved it! But so did my husband and I that re-made it a few days later for all there of us. It was a breath of fresh air not to have to make two separate dinners, but to finally be able to do a one-pot meal for the whole family.
For all those mommies out there, who are cooking separate meals, I'm going to try and start blogging more recipes that can work for all at home. We all get to eat yummy and healthy together!
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp minced onion
1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste or finely minced
2 cups mixed vegetables (asparagus, mushrooms, red peppers and peas), cut into bite-sized pieces that your toddler is comfortable with eating
3–4 leaves of basil (optional)
2 cups orzo
3 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, plus more to sprinkle on top
- Heat the butter in a dutch oven or a thick-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and ginger garlic paste until the onion is pink (do not brown it).
- Mix in the vegetables and basil, stir occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add the orzo, coat well with the vegetable mixture.
- Now add1/2 cup of the chicken stock, mix it for 5 minutes continuously. Pour in another 1/2 cup of the stock, stir and let it cook for a few minutes until almost all of the stock (but not all) has been absorbed. Continue doing so until the balance stock is over. This will take about 20 minutes in total. Stir occasionally as you add the additional stock.
- Remove from fire, add the cheese and taste for salt. Season with salt, if needed.