Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Chocolate and Cheese together.

My mother grew up between Singapore and Jakarta, and although we grew up in Bombay we spent every summer in Singapore and Jakarta with my grandparents and uncles. My mom would take us around to malls, to meet friends, to the markets, to the kiddie entertainment areas and no matter where we went, there was always street food available. The one that stands out the most to me after all these years is the sweet (chocolate) and savory (cheese) martabak.
Martabak is a pancake that has been folded over with a stuffing, like a calzone. It can be sweet, savory or sweet and savory. 
My brother and I loved it so much that our treat snack growing up in Bombay was white sandwich bread made into a sandwich with chocolate sprinkles and grated cheddar cheese. Kids laughed at me in school for loving the combination of chocolate and cheese, and till today many people don't understand my love for the combination… but think about it, we all love chocolate cheesecake, or cheesecake brownies or salted truffles! So why not chocolate and cheese?

This sandwich is my take on my childhood treat. And it hit the spot for comfort food! 

Serves 4

Ingredients
8 slices sourdough bread or white sandwich bread
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces Quadrello di Bufala or Talegio cheese 
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
2 tsp chipotle powder 

Directions
  1. Preheat a nonstick skillet.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cheese, chocolate chips and chipotle powder.
  3. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil.
  4. Compile sandwiches with the oiled sides of the bread on the outside.
  5. Grill the sandwiches on the skillet for 2–3 minutes on each side until the chocolate–cheese mixture begins to melt and bread turns golden.
Get into your comfiest pajamas, watch your favorite TV show and eat this sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment