Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Low-Fat Banana Bread






As you all must know by now, I love to bake. It sometimes becomes an obsession, a need to sift flour and measure exactly. But… alas, my metabolic rates requests otherwise. And so does my husband, who doesn't have a sweet tooth and a not-so-great metabolic rate either. 


So when I found this recipe from Bon Appétit 1997 on Epicurious.com via their Epi App on the iPhone, I knew I had to bake it. 


Banana bread can be moist or on the drier-side like bread is. This recipe is a good balance between the two. It also isn't too sweet and that perfect slice to accompany your cup of tea. And my husband had two slices too! 


Now, comes my 17-month old son Ishaan, a.k.a Monkey. He's a monkey because he's all over the place all the time (!) but he is also a serious banana-eater. He runs to the kitchen and screams "BANNN" every morning, after his afternoon nap, and any time he wants a snack! God forbid he sees one while we are in the grocery store. 


So when I saw this recipe, I hid two bananas from Monkey and let them ripen. I added some cinnamon and nutmeg powder to compliment the cup of Indian-chai I was having that evening. Add walnuts or chocolate chips if you'd like. 


Makes 15 slices
Ingredients
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup smashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
1/3 cup 1% buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

  1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. Lightly butter and flour a standard loaf pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch pan).
  3. Using an electric mixer beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until thick and light, about 5 minutes.
  4. Mix in smashed bananas, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
  5. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg over mixture; beat until just blended (do not over mix!).
  6. Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake bread until golden brown on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
  7. Turn bread out onto rack and cool.
For those following the Weight Watchers diet, 1 slice is 3 points! 




No comments:

Post a Comment