Sunday, April 15, 2012

Baked Egg Puffs

I had heard of Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious— a cookbook that concentrates on family recipes that use vegetable purees to hide vegetables in children's meals. 


I scoffed at that. Kids should just learn to eat their vegetables– make it yum, let it stay green and they will eat it. Simple. We ate our vegetables growing up, and except for bitter gourd and eggplant, I pretty much eat and love every vegetable out there! 


Then at my baby shower my friend Mumtaz gifted me the book. The recipes looked delicious, which made me disregard the 'deceptive' part and concentrate on the 'delicious' (and healthy and easy). 


I still advocate giving your kids vegetables as they are, these recipes are for the bonus serving of veggies!


Below is my slightly revised recipe.


Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Serves 4


Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup yellow squash or butternut squash puree
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


Method
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Coat 4 (1/2-cup) ramekins or coffee cups with cooking spray and set on a baking sheet.


In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, squash puree, cheese, flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. 


Divide the mixture among the ramekins or cups and bake until the tops are puffed up and the eggs are no longer runny in the center when pierced with the tip of a knife, 13 to 15 minutes. 
Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment